Friday, October 29, 2010

Touring Savannah

Now for the rest of the  “Sisters tour Savannah”. On Tuesday morning Crystal and I decided to walk around the Historic District of Savannah. We knew that there were walking tours available, but we had already seen some of the people the previous day on a walking tour and to be quite honest they looked like they would have rather been somewhere else.   So we opted to take our own little tour. So we walked and we walked some more. We ended up at the City Market.
DSCN2482DSCN2561
  For lunch we stopped in at Barnes BBQ. 41783_143732963605_958725_nI think we made an excellent choice for lunch. We had the special, which was BBQ sandwich one side and a drink. Let me just say that I do not think that I have ever in my life had a BBQ sandwich that was that good. It had the smoked taste in every bite. (In my opinion it seems like now days so many BBQ restaurants just bake their meat and it just doesn’t taste the same.) We were only able to eat half of our sandwich so we took the rest with us and ate it later in the afternoon.
So after lunch we went back to our room and relaxed for about thirty minutes then decided we would take a trolley tour. The lady at the front desk called Oglethorpe Trolley Tours and scheduled them to pick us up ten minutes later at the front door of the Eliza Thompson House. This was another “best” decisions we made on our trip. We were able to see so many things that we had missed while walking and even found some places we wanted to check out before we left for home the next day.  Here are a few of the places that we saw:
DSCN2506This is Chippewa Square, named in honor of the American victory in the Battle of Chippewa during the War of 1812. It is also the square where Tom Hanks sat on the bench in the movie Forrest Gump.
DSCN2528 Here is the Andrew Low House. The home of Juliette Gordon Low (Founder of the Girl Scouts).
DSCN2522DSCN2524These are just a few of the houses that we saw on the trolley tour. I love the look of all of them.  
DSCN2540
While on the trolley tour we saw this very small house, the tour guide told us that it was a one bedroom home that just sold. It had been on the market for $525,000 . I know it is Savannah, but really a small one bedroom home for that much. No thank you!
So remember the walking tour that I told you about earlier, well here is a couple of pictures that I took from the trolley of one of the guided walking tours. DSCN2533 Notice the guy in the white suit and hat, he was the guide for this tour. DSCN2511 Sorry the quality of this photo is not that great, I was in a moving trolley. ( ;
After our tour we got ready and headed down to River Street and did some browsing in some of the shops, then we found us some seafood and once again stuffed our bellies.
Before we headed home on Wednesday morning we went to nourish a natural bath products store. I bought a bar of  vanilla raspberry soap. I love this scent. specialtypageThen we made one last stop at Back in the Day Bakery where I purchased cupcakes to take home and share with my husband and kids. DSCN2633DSCN2637
I am so glad that my sister asked me to take a trip with her to Savannah. I wonder where our next trip will be to?????

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with the trolley being one of our best decisions! Along with Barnes for lunch...oooohhhh....to have some Barnes again!! I'm already craving another pork sandwich! And those cupcakes were the best EVER!! I'm thinking Savannah was great, maybe Charleston next time?!

    ReplyDelete