Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine Party

Kaelyn came home last week with a list of students in her class and details about a Valentine exchange that would be going on in her class.  One of the things that I liked about this was that this was not something you had to participate in, but if you did you were supposed to give each student a Valentine. The reason I say that is because there are some families that can’t afford to or just don’t want to do the whole exchange of Valentines. Kaelyn participated in it (and yes there were some of the students who did not bring Valentines and that is perfectly fine). We decided that we would not buy cards but would make our own. I searched the internet for cute cards for us to make (something that was cute without being to young or to old for her). I found one and showed it to her and she was really excited about us making them. This is where we got the idea for the valentines we made. So we I gathered our supplies,  I made a few stops around town (Michael’s, Target, Wal-Mart & Jo Ann Fabrics) while she was in school.

After we got home it was time to start tracing some clothes pins onto our black & white polka dot scrapbook paper. After getting them traced, there  was a whole lot of cutting going on.

DSCN3004 Once the paper was cut out, I then put a layer of Mod Podge on the clothes pin, then placed the paper on the clothes pin and put another layer of Mod Podge on the clothes pin. I put them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper to dry. While they were drying we cut out some red cardstock to a 4x6 size then cut pink cardstock just a little smaller so that we would have a red border once we put the pink paper on the red. I purchased some small food bags from Michael’s and Kaelyn put 20 M&M’s in each bag, (we used red, pink & white M&M’s). Then we put a little note on each card that said, I’d love to “hang out” with you… be my valentine. Then we  tied a red ribbon on to our clothes pin and clipped the clothes pin to the card and the little bag of M&M’s. This is our finished Valentine Card that Kaelyn gave to each one of her classmates, teachers and principal. We made 30 of them.

DSCN3008 I had so much fun making these and would make 30 again in a heartbeat.

2 comments: