Sunday, April 22, 2012

Neon Leon's

On Saturday morning we headed down to Crystal River to spend some time with my in-laws at their "getaway home". They wanted to take us out for lunch and had already picked out a little place off the beaten path around Homosassa. When my mother-in-law (Harriet) told us that we were going to go to Neon Leon's Zydeco Steakhouse Chuck & I looked at each other with a look of concern. Chuck and I had driven past this place several times before when we had been in the area and said that this would not be a place we would ever go to. Just didn't seem like a "family friendly" place, more of a "jukin joint". My father-in-law (Ray) said the same thing, but after having someone recommend the place, decided that it would be a good place to try.

After eating there, it was decided that this is a place we would go back to again. Harriet ordered the Cajun Sampler which included Jambalaya, Etoufee & Gumbo served with rice. Ray had the Jambalaya. They both said it was very good. Chuck had the fried oysters (I don't like oysters, but he said they were really good), I had the fried shrimp, I didn't care to much for them. They were frozen, breaded shrimp ):  but the hush puppies were some of the best that I have ever had. Tyler got the Shrimp Po' Boy, I took a couple of bites and can tell you that when we go back, I will be ordering that. Kaelyn of course had to be different and get a cheeseburger, and after taking a small bite of her burger, she made a good choice.

When we left there Ray wanted to show us a place near by that his parents used to camp at years ago. He said that it had changed so much since they camped there. Instead of being a campground it looks more like people are living there on a permanent basis now.

Somehow Chuck and his dad got to talking about smoked mullet and on the way back to the condo, Ray saw a little shop that sells smoked mullet.


After we got back home late Saturday afternoon, Chuck and Tyler had the smoked mullet for their supper. Kaelyn and I decided to get pizza instead.
Chuck said the smoked mullet was good would stop in and get more when we are back in the Crystal River/Homosassa area.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it fun to find a new place to eat? We've never ate @ this restaurant. I do love some smoked mullet! Makes my tummy growl. :)

    ReplyDelete