Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving


When you hear the word Thanksgiving, what is the first thing you think of? Could it be eating a feast with your family and friends, or maybe it is along the lines of there aren't many weeks left until Christmas, I have to look at those sales sheets today and make my plan on which store to go to first in the wee hours tomorrow. So many of us could tell a different story of what we think of when we hear thanksgiving. I'll have to admit that the above statements are ones that I do think of when thinking about thanksgiving. However, there is something that I don't want to forget when it comes to this holiday. It is truly about giving thanks. Who do we give thanks to, ultimately it should be first and foremost to our heavenly Father. He has given us so much to be thankful for, whether you have much or nothing at all (materially), there are things to be thankful for. I encourage you to take the time to write down the things you are thankful for, and you will see that the list will be of great length. Don't get me wrong here, it's not about the length of the thankful list, it's about seeing what all you are thankful for. Go ahead and try it, you will be surprised.

I was reminded of God's gratefulness to us this morning while reading in the book of Psalm. Let me share with one of the passages that I read.

Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands!
Serve the LORD with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing,
Know that the LORD, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the LORD is good;
His mercy is everlasting.
And His truth endures to all generations.
Psalm 100:1-5

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment