Saturday, August 8, 2009

A homecoming to remember

July 30, 2009 - This is the day we are supposed to be traveling back home. We were up at 4:00 a.m. to finish getting everything together, then dropping off the rental car and catch the shuttle to the airport. Everything was going great until we got to the airport. When printing our boarding passes at the kiosk, Chuck saw where our 9:15 flight had been delayed to 9:50. That wasn't so bad, we could still make our connecting flight. Then when we got to the gate, the sign reads that the flight has been delayed to 10:40, not looking very good for us. So Chuck goes up to the attendant at the gate to see if we are going to be able to make our connecting flight. While he is waiting for the man to retrieve our flight information the display at the gate changes to having our flight delayed until 11:00. By this time we know we will not be able to make our connecting flight. We found out that our flight was delayed due to mechanical problems. After standing at the gate for about an hour and a half we finally had a flight scheduled for the next day. The nice thing about it was that everything about our flight is the same as today's flight, just a different day.

Next we spent another hour getting all of our suitcases back, a total of seven (four of us then Chucks parents and brother). When we went down to baggage claim we had to talk to the lady there (she wasn't very nice), we gave her our claim tickets, she called someone then told us it would be a while before they called her back to let her know if they were able to find our luggage. My brother-in-law Doug asked if thirty minutes would be enough time for her to find out something. She said it would be, so we started to leave out, but before we did, I gave her the sweetest "Thank you sooo much for helping us, we really appreciate it." and all this was done with a smile on my face. You know, she actually smiled back and said "Glad I could be of help". So thirty minutes later we headed back to baggage claim, and what do I see, our luggage. I go in her little office and tell her we are there to pick up our stuff, she says," They could only find six of the seven bags." You guessed it, mine was the one missing. After telling her what it looked like, she called the guy back, and in about ten minutes I had my suitcase back.

July 31, 2009- We are headed home today! All of our flights were on time and we made it back into Florida without any problems. Our drive home seemed to take forever. I was so ready to be home. I had a wonderful vacation with my family!!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a wild time! Airports are sooo frustrating and the people working in them are not too friendly. I always try to remind myself that they must see numerous hateful people on a daily basis, so how pleasant can they really be?

    I am glad y'all have made it home.