Monday, August 3, 2009

Whistles, Bells and Mountain Peaks


Echo Lake


Monday, July 27- This morning we were met at the front of our hotel at 7:45 by Ray with Gray Line Tours. He picked us up for the tour that we signed up for - Whistles, Bells and Mountain Peaks. We traveled westward and climbed the foothills (actually we rode in a mini bus) along the squaw pass. There were many photo opportunities which of course we took advantage of. We stopped at the historic lodge on Echo Lake, (which is a natural lake) for lunch and time to take some pictures. The pictures just don't do this lake justice. It was so gorgeous. As I looked around at my surroundings I was reminded that God created everything that I was seeing. He is the master artist.


This is one of the old dining cars of the railroad



I saw this little chipmunk while our train was stopped
We then headed to Sliver Plume to board the Georgetown Loop Railroad. We rode this 19th century narrow gauge railway at over 9,000 feet above sea level. After our train ride we drove through the historic silver mining mecca of Georgetown. We saw Victorian homes, buildings and some rather unique shops. While stopped in Georgetown we went into a candy/ice cream parlor, where we each got an ice cream cone. I decided I would try a flavor that I had never had before (unusual for me, I know). My choice, pralines and cream, this was some of the best ice cream I have ever eaten. I do believe I have found a new favorite. While in Georgetown I visited this little shop by the name of Aspen Creek Gifts, I bought Kaelyn a very cute little necklace there. The lady in this shop was just as sweet and friendly as she could be. She had a variety of things in her shop, fine jewelry, woolen apparel, log furniture and contemporary art. If you ever get to Georgetown, Colorado stop by and see her at 509 6th Street.

The store front with the American flag is the Ice Cream Parlor we visited


When we were finished in Georgetown, we headed back into Denver by way of the scenic route. I think we were all glad to get off that bus at our hotel. A fun day, but very exhausting!

1 comment:

  1. What a great family picture!
    I agree, nothing displays the Lord's splendor and majesty quite like the mountains...there's just something about them. I cant see them and not think of how awesome and great He is. I love that yall rode a train. HOW fun!!! Also love that little chipmunk. I might have tried to bring him home! :)

    ReplyDelete